How Motability Works and who is Eligible
If you receive any of the following benefits and have at least 12 months’ award remaining you can exchange some or all of this to lease either a car, scooter or powered wheelchair from Motability.
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of “PIP” (HMRC of PIP)
- Armed Forces Independance Payments (AFIP)
Unfortunately, the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease scooters or powered wheelchairs through Motability. Alternative finance options can be found here: >> Mobility Finance
Nothing to Worry About with Motability
Motability scooters and powered wheelchairs are available on a three year Contract Hire lease (five years for some custom-built powered wheelchairs). This simply means that you choose the product from us and that the relevant amount of your allowance will be paid directly to us every four weeks, to cover the lease payments.
Hire purchase (where you buy the product in instalments) is not available.
As most scooters and powered wheelchairs through Motability cost less to lease than your weekly allowance, you will still directly receive the remainder of your allowance to spend however you choose. Alternative finance options can be found here: >> Mobility Finance
The Worry-Free Package at a Glance
With Motability, you get more than just the scooter or powered wheelchair of your choice, you get all the support and help you need to enjoy worry-free mobility. In fact, our current customers rate our services so highly that 95% of them would recommend Motability to a friend. As of the 1st January 2015 you will pay a £100.00 refundable payment before delivery and receive an end of contract bonus of £100.00 at the end of your 3 year lease.
Everything here is included in your lease:
- A new scooter or powered wheelchair of your choice every three years
- Standard pricing nationwide
- Over 300 products – most costing less than your weekly allowance
- Insurance from RSA Motability (RSAM) which covers any damage to people or property caused by your product
- Loss and damage protection for your product
- Breakdown assistance from Motability Assist – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Servicing, maintenance and repairs – call outs and home collection can be arranged with your dealer
- Replacement tyres and batteries
- Solid tyres if required and not supplied as standard on your chosen product.
- A dedicated UK based Customer Services team
However, there are some other things that are not included:
- Optional extras on the product that are not fitted as standard
- More than three claims for lost or stolen keys
- Any fines you may incur
- Insurance cover for theft or damage to personal belongings such as coats, bags, mobile phones and money
Other things to consider:
- Class 2 products do not require tax
- Tax – the DVLA provide this free of charge for Class 3 scooters and wheelchairs, we will arrange this for you.
- You will also need somewhere secure to store your scooter or powered wheelchair overnight or when unattended
If you require finance other than Motability, we would be happy to explain the alternative finance packages we have available.
** Please note, if you already have a car on the motability scheme then you can not have a scooter or powerchair as well.. **